When it comes to mold, there are many misconceptions that leave homeowners confused and misinformed. Just by mentioning the word “mold” causes people to panic. Although mold can be a very serious problem and should always be taken seriously, it is critical to have all the correct facts, so you can make knowledgeable decisions when necessary.
- “Bleach kills mold”
- Bleach is able to kill certain types of mold on nonporous surfaces, but it is uncertain on whether or not it can kill all types of mold on every surface. Most of the retail products out there only discolor the mold and are not suggested for porous surfaces for example, drywall, carpet, ceiling tiles and wood.
- “Mold is only found in homes with water damage”
It is true that mold generally forms in any areas that have problems of water seepage or flooding but unfortunately all homes could potentially wind up with having a mold problem. Molds and mildews are present both indoors and outdoors, and when mold spores land on a surface that contains moisture, that mold can begin to grow.
- “You don’t have to remove mold if you kill it”
- Even if you are able to kill the mold, there are allergens that live in mold that are still active. These allergens can even become airborne even if the mold is dead. Mold can also go dormant until conditions in the environment are optimal for regrowth. To protect yourself and your home, it is necessary to remove the affected area and remove the items that contain mold. You need to be cautious not to spread the mold spores to unaffected areas. Professionals, like us, are properly trained to handle mold allergens without further contaminating your home.
- “A small amount of mold is nothing to worry about”
- A small amount of visible mold in your home may just be the tip of the iceberg. Chances are it has been growing for some time now and requires a certified mold inspector to further inspect the situation.
- “Mold Remediation is easy to do on your own”
That is not always the case. When it comes to small areas of mold, it can be handled easily. But when the problem becomes pervasive, it is best to call the professionals. SERVPRO is always “Here To Help!”